After the orientation unit, there are four main units in this course, each addressing one of the recommendations from the Practice Guide:
- Teach a set of academic vocabulary words intensively across several days using a variety of instructional activities
- Integrate oral and written English language instruction into content-area teaching
- Provide regular structured opportunities to develop written language skills
- Small-group instructional intervention to students struggling in areas of literacy and English language development
Note: English language learning and practice can be amplified through honoring, affirming, and encouraging the use of students' heritage language(s). Please view this Institute of Education Sciences resource on the benefits of translanguaging to support students' bilingual and multilingual development (PDF).
In each unit, you will participate in a number of activities to help you dig into the content.
- Introduce each Practice Guide recommendation
- Connect your own prior knowledge
- Read and Engage with Multilingual Learner instructional strategies
- Notice Multilingual Learner strategies in action
- In Classroom Scenario, participants record their observations and insights
- Apply and Reflect on your learning
- Dive Deeper into expert panel discussions and additional resources