The MCIC (Micro-credentials: Innovations in Classrooms) micro-credentials were developed by regional support teams across participating districts in the Southeast Education Alliance in partnership with The William & Ida Friday Institute for Educational Innovation at NC State University’s College of Education. Micro-credentials provide an opportunity for educators to earn renewal credit by demonstrating their understanding and application through the submission of an artifact. In contrast to sit-and-get professional learning, micro-credentials provide a competency-based approach to allow participants to learn as much (or as little) as they need about a topic in order to successfully demonstrate their understanding and application. If you'd like to learn more about micro-credentials, you can watch the following video from the Friday Institute.
Participating educators from the Southeast Education Alliance will have the opportunity to earn micro-credentials for renewal credit on the following topics:
What is the Social and Emotional Learning stack?
In the Social and Emotional Learning stack you will demonstrate your understanding and classroom application of 7 core social and emotional learning competencies that are integral to student learning and lifelong success: self-awareness, self-regulation, emotional regulation, inhibition, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making.
Upon successful completion of the following 7 micro-credentials, you will be provided with a certificate of 1.75 CEUs:
- Emotional Regulation
- Social Awareness
- Relationship Skills
- Responsible Decision-Making
What is the Supporting Conceptual Understanding in the Mathematics Classroom stack?
In the Supporting Conceptual Understanding in the Mathematics Classroom stack you will have the opportunity to dive deep into mathematics instruction, learn about cognitive demand of mathematical tasks, and utilize technology to analyze functions.
Upon successful completion of the following 5 micro-credentials, you will be provided with a certificate of 1.3 CEUs:
- Understand the Mathematical Task Framework and How It Can Be Used to Enhance Instruction
- Supporting Mathematical Discourse Through Instructional Design
- Demonstrating Understanding of Using Concrete-Representational-Abstract in Mathematics Instruction
- Utilizing a TI Graphing Calculator to Analyze Linear and Exponential Data
- Demonstrate Understanding of Using Desmos to Support Student Understanding of Mathematics
What are learning differences?
Every student and every person learns differently — yet our education systems are structured to approach every student similarly. Learning differences refers to the many ways (or constructs) in which individuals' learning needs vary. Rather than look at these differences as weaknesses, understanding and leveraging each individual student's learning differences can help teachers meet their needs. The following micro-credentials are designed to provide you with support as you target individual students.
Upon successful completion of the following 6 micro-credentials, you will be provided with a certificate of 2.25 CEUs.
- Demonstrate Understanding of Working Memory
- Demonstrate Understanding of Executive Function
- Demonstrate Understanding of Learner Motivation
- Build a Student-Centered Plan to Support Learning Differences
- Apply Student-Centered Strategies to Support Learning Differences
- Engage Your Peers in Supporting Students' Learning Differences
What is the Diving Deep Into the Conceptual Understanding of Letterland Strategies stack?
In Diving Deep into the Conceptual Understanding of Letterland Strategies stack, you will have the opportunity to look at specific Letterland strategies and provide/upload evidence and explanations about the cognitive demand of each task. You will also have the opportunity to analyze the purpose of each of these Letterland strategies when teaching a child to read.
Upon successful completion of the following 4 micro-credentials, you will be provided with a certificate of 1.5 CEUs:
- Letterland to Support Students' Learning to Read Within the K-2 Classroom
- Letterland Live Reading and Spelling to Support Reading Instruction
- Word Sorting and Tricky Words Versus Memorization in the ELA Classroom
- Letterland Diagnostic Assessments and Fluency Checks to Determine Mastery of Reading and Spelling
If you're from a participating Southeast Education Alliance district, we encourage you to enroll in the portal by clicking on the "Enroll" button at the top of the page. From there, you will be enrolled in the portal, provided more detailed information about the micro-credential process, and given access to the micro-credentials for submission.